Bonn. Not only since the developments in the emissions scandal is has been clear that electric mobility presents the future of the transport sector. Whereas electric mobility in Germany is currently on a comparably low level, there is a clear growth trend visible. Electric mobility seems to have a special appeal to users, who are able to charge their vehicle with self-generated electricity from their photovoltaic system. Depending on the location of the system, electricity can be generated cost-effectively with a new photovoltaic system for around ten or eleven cents per kilowatt hour, which makes electric mobility even more interesting on the cost side.
For a long time now market- and economic research company EuPD Research has been conducting diverse analyses of private end customers and the buying process in the context of the energy transition. The results of a current survey amongst owners of one- and two-family houses shed light on the connection between photovoltaics and electric mobility. 9% of the approximately 500 surveyed German home-owners claim that they are going to consider purchasing an electric vehicle in the short-term, namely in 2018. On the other hand, 91% of the home-owners, who claimed to be interested in purchasing an electric vehicle in 2018, are at the same time planning the purchase of a photovoltaic system. The majority of the home-owners (54%) hereby are planning to buy a photovoltaic system this year. For 2019 and beyond 37% of the survey participants, who are interested in an electric vehicle, are planning on having a photovoltaic system installed.
When end customers do not have any options to supply themselves and their electric vehicle with self-generated electricity, a clear majority believes it is the utilities’ obligation to offer appropriate and specific tariffs. 70% of the survey participants declared that they would chose these specific automotive electricity tariffs, in order to meet the demands of the growing market for electric mobility.
The survey of private households is one element of the annual analysis for the „Energy Transition Awards“ for utilities. For the first time EuPD Research will not only analyze the energy transition portfolios of German utilities, but also of utilities in Austria and Switzerland. The survey results of all 1.700 utilities in the DACH-region, as well as the awards for the best utilities in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, will be presented in the course of the new innovation platform The smarter E Europe in Munich, which will unite the well-known exhibitions Intersolar Europe and ees Europe with the new trade shows Power2Drive and EM-Power in one location, on 21 June 2018. The DCTI German CleanTech Institute, The smarter E and EuPD Research are the initiators of this project. For further information please go to www.energiewende-award.de.